Trump says will declare Hormuz US territory ‘pretty soon’

Our coverage continues
This live page is closing, but our 24-hour coverage of the US-Israel war on Iran continues, along with developments in Gaza, the occupied West Bank and Lebanon.
Here’s what happened today
This live page will close soon. But before we go, here’s a look at some of the biggest recent developments:
US President Donald Trump said he would declare the Strait of Hormuz US territory “pretty soon” after the US “defeats” Iran.
He also downplayed concerns of US consumers, saying inflation and an increase in the cost of fuel are worth it to prevent Iran from having a nuclear weapon.
Iran responded to Trump, with Deputy Foreign Minister Gharibabadi saying that Hormuz could not be “seized” by an “election speech”.
Iran’s Foreign Minister Araghchi said that talks with Oman over an approved route through the Strait of Hormuz may conclude soon, but reiterated that this issue was separate from the total opening of the waterway and an end to the war.
Hezbollah chief Naim Qassem rejected continued negotiations between the Lebanese and Israeli governments, accusing the Lebanese state of “surrender” to Israel.
An official of the internationally recognised government of Yemen told AFP that a Houthi attack on the port city of al-Makha (Mocha) had killed at least six people, two of them security personnel.
New aerial video reveals huge scale of oil spill off Oman
A potential environmental disaster is unfolding off Oman, where a grounded tanker is leaking sanctioned Russian crude oil in a protected marine area.The tanker carrying about one million barrels of oil has created an oil slick estimated at 2,000 square kilometres (770sq miles).
UAE energy giant ADNOC says one of its vessels was attacked in Strait of Hormuz
The United Arab Emirates’ Abu Dhabi National Oil Company says that one of its vessels was attacked while transiting the Strait of Hormuz on the evening of Friday, according to Emirati state news agency WAM.
The state oil company said no injuries were reported, with the situation now under control, according to WAM.
The attack was the third such incident involving ADNOC vessels in less than a week. ADNOC is one of the world’s largest energy producers and exports crude oil, natural gas and refined products worldwide.
The UAE accused Iran of being behind the earlier attacks, but there was no official comment from the UAE on Friday evening’s attack so far.
Reports of worsening conditions on USS Abraham Lincoln ‘twisted into a false narrative’, says US Navy official
Acting Secretary of the US Navy Hung Cao says that reports of dire conditions on the USS Abraham Lincoln amid the US-Israel war with Iran, including accounts of sailors trying to jump overboard, have been blown out of proportion.
“Legitimate challenges of a long combat deployment are being twisted into a false narrative, while the genuine difficulties faced by military families are being used for headlines,” Pentagon spokesman Sean Parnell chimed in on X. “That is shameful.”
Earlier today, US President Donald Trump dismissed concerns about conditions on board the USS Abraham Lincoln. Speaking to reporters on Friday, Trump rejected the assertion that the families of those on board the aircraft carrier are worried about their loved ones.
“The Sailors aboard the Lincoln are doing what American warriors have always done: remaining resilient, focused on the mission, and proud of their service on this historic deployment,” Parnell added. “We stand with them”.










