United States forces helping to evacuate Afghans desperate to flee Taliban rule were on alert for more attacks after an ISIL-affiliated suicide bombing on Thursday that killed at least 175 people Taliban, sources said. Thirteen US service members died in the attack outside Kabul airport.
Pentagon spokesman John Kirby said on Friday that the US believed there are still “specific, credible” threats against the airport.
Pentagon officials also said they believe the attack outside Kabul airport was a result of one explosion, not two as previously reported.
“We do not believe that there was a second explosion at or near the Baron hotel, that it was one suicide bomber,” US Army Major General William Taylor told reporters at the Pentagon in Washington, DC.
Al Jazeera’s Charles Stratford, reporting from Kabul, said evacuations have resumed.
“We have seen a number of planes take off. The number of people around the airport has grown dramatically since yesterday,” he said.
Thursday’s attack was claimed by ISIL (ISIS) offshoot in Afghanistan – the Islamic State in Khorasan Province, ISKP (ISIS-K).
US President Joe Biden pledged to retaliate against the attack in Kabul, confirming that the bombings were carried out by ISKP. “We will hunt you down and make you pay. I will defend our interests and our people with every measure at my command,” he said.