Porn sites have been cashing in on the coronavirus outbreak with sites posting films of people having sex in hazmat suits in an twisted new trend.
Videos titled ‘Deserted Wuhan’ and ‘TSA Agent Detains Woman Suspected of Coronavirus’ among others have been appearing on sites.
They feature people in hazmat suits, face masks or hospital gowns having sex in what looks like medical facilities.
Coronavirus emerged in China late last year and has now infected 95,000 people in more than 80 countries and caused more than 3,200 deaths.
Porn duo Spicy x Rice feature in some of the coronavirus videos. The male half of the duo, Spicy, told Vice: ‘I think people are attracted to COVID-19 themed porn the same way people who are scared of their shadow are attached to horror movies: We are all searching for things that make us come alive.’
He added: ‘COVID-19 is something that brings fear and mystery to pretty much everyone in the world right now… You need to be able to feel something, and what better way to make you feel something than the global crisis we are all in right now.’
According to Spicy, some of their videos contain key information on how to prevent the spread of the disease and were made with the intention to educate people.
‘We thought we would use our porn as an avenue to get some legitimate information out with some comic relief included to get people interested and reduce our chances of being banned,’ he told the publication.
He added that the couple knew people who were ‘stuck in Wuhan’ and insisted that they ‘made the video with them in mind.’
It comes as Italy considers a ban on the traditional Italian greeting of kissing each other on the cheek as part of draconian emergency measures which have seen the country close all schools and universities until at least March 15.
Sweeping measures to control the spread of the virus have been taken around the world – closed schools, travel restrictions, emptied sports stadiums and offices.
Italy, Iran and South Korea have burgeoning outbreaks.
Iran reported 92 deaths among its more than 2,900 cases, though many fear the outbreak is far bigger. Among the ill are dozens of members of the government. The Islamic republic canceled Friday prayers for the second week to avoid public gatherings.
South Korea reported 145 new infections Thursday, raising its total to 5,766, second-highest in the world.
China reported 139 new cases and 31 deaths, raising its totals to 80,409 cases and 3,012 deaths. The number of cases was higher than Wednesday’s figure, but new deaths were lower, as the illness continues to decline in the country.
While hardest-hit Hubei province had most of the new cases and deaths, hospitals there released another 1,923 patients who were declared cured.