Sudan anti-coup protest death toll rises to 40 as teenager dies

Sudanese anti-coup activists have called for mass protests on Sunday, as medics said the number of people killed since last month’s military takeover has risen to at least 40 after a teenager shot in the head succumbed to his wounds.

Sudan’s top General Abdel Fattah al-Burhan on October 25 declared a state of emergency, dissolved the interim government and arrested the civilian leadership. The coup upended a two-year transition to civilian rule, drew wide international condemnation and punitive measures, and provoked people to take to the streets.

Protests on Wednesday led to the deadliest day so far, with the toll of those killed after those demonstrations now standing at 16, according to medics.

“One martyr passed away … after he succumbed to severe wounds after being hit by live rounds to the head and the leg on November 17,” the independent Central Committee of Sudanese Doctors said on Saturday. He was aged 16, it added.

Most of those killed on Wednesday were in North Khartoum, which lies across the Nile River from the capital, medics said. Hundreds have also been wounded during the crackdown, according to the committee.

Police officials deny using any live ammunition and insist they have used “minimum force” to disperse the protests. They have recorded only one death, among demonstrators in North Khartoum.

On Saturday, hundreds of protesters rallied against the military in North Khartoum, putting up barricades and burned tyres, according to reports. A police station was also set on fire during the unrest.

Demonstrators also took to the streets in East and South Khartoum, witnesses said. The protesters chanted slogans such as “No, no to military rule” and called for “civilian rule”.

Pro-democracy activists also made online calls for mass anti-coup protests with a “million-strong march on November 21”.

Related Articles

Back to top button