Spain to open borders to some visitors

  • US President Donald Trump is scheduled to hold a rally on June 20, which experts warn could prove to be “extraordinarily dangerous” amid the coronavirus pandemic.
  • China reported 57 new confirmed – and nine asymptomatic – COVID-19 cases for June 13, the highest since April 13, according to data released by the national health authority on Sunday.
  • African leaders say China will supply the continent with 30 million testing kits and 10,000 ventilators each month as the coronavirus pandemic accelerates there.
  • More than 7.8 million people in total have been infected with the coronavirus, about 3.7 million have recovered, and at least 430,000 have died, according to Johns Hopkins University.

    Sunday, June 14

    14:51 GMT – Saudi Arabia reports highest daily jump

    Saudi Arabia urged its citizens to comply with health measures as the country reported 4,233 new cases, its highest-ever daily increase since the start of the outbreak.

    With more than 127,500 infections and about 970 deaths, the country records the highest number of cases among the six Gulf Arab states.

    “There are two paths before us. The average infection rate could rise if people continue not to comply, or we could bring the rate back down,” a health ministry spokesman said.

    The Kingdom started easing its restrictions last month by allowing its employees to return to offices, commercial centres to reopen and prayers at mosques to resume in a three phase plan.

    A curfew is due to end by June 21.

    14:27 GMT – Sudan’s airports remain closed for another two weeks

    Sudan extended the closure of its airports by another two weeks until June 28, said Abdul Hafiz Abdul Rahim, a spokesman for the country’s civil aviation authority.

    The country shut its airports in March as part of its efforts to contain the spread of the coronavirus which has infected more than 7,000 people and killed 447.

  • 13:55 GMT – Two-metre social distancing rule under review: UK Prime Minister

    As the number of infections and fatalities in the UK keeps falling, Prime Minister Boris Johnson said that the two-metre social distancing rule was under review ahead of a potential further easing of lockdown measures on July 4.

    “As we get the numbers down, so it becomes one in 1,000, one in 1,600, maybe even fewer, your chances of being two metres, or one metre, or even a foot away from somebody who has the virus is obviously going down statistically, so you start to build some more margin for manoeuvre,” he said.

    “We’ll be looking at that and keeping it under constant review as we go forward to the next step in our plan, which is as you know July 4.”

    The statement came as the country reported 36 new fatalities, its lowest since a lockdown began on March 21. The total death toll now stands at 41,698.

Related Articles

Back to top button