Nagorno-Karabakh battles rage for second day

  • Heavy fighting that erupted on Sunday between Azerbaijani and Armenian military forces over the disputed Nagorno-Karabakh region continued overnight and into Monday morning.
  • Military and civilian deaths have been reported from both sides, in the worst escalation in violence since 2016.
  • Most of the international community, including the United States, Russia, Iran and European powers, have been calling for an end to hostilities and the start of talks.
  • 14:05 GMT – Armenia appeals to European rights court in Azerbaijan conflict

    The European Court of Human Rights says the Armenian government has asked it to issue urgent instructions to Azerbaijan to stop attacks on civilians as well as military advances towards civilian settlements in Armenia and Nagorno-Karabakh.

    The Strasbourg-based court said it was examining the request. Armenia and Azerbaijan have both accused each other of attacking civilian targets in the latest conflict over the breakaway Armenian-populated Nagorno-Karabakh region of Azerbaijan.

    12:50 GMT – Spain calls for ceasefire between Armenia and Azerbaijan

    Spain’s Foreign Minister Arancha Gonzalez has said she was concerned about the recent escalation in hostilities between Armenia and Azerbaijan.

    She also called for a ceasefire in her remarks during a news conference in Madrid.

    12:30 GMT – Turkey’s Erdogan says Armenia must withdraw from Azerbaijani lands

    Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan has said Armenia must immediately withdraw from Azerbaijani lands which it is occupying and that it was time to end the crisis in Nagorno-Karabakh, a breakaway region inside Azerbaijan run by ethnic Armenians.

    Erdogan made the remarks during a speech in Istanbul.

    12:00 GMT – Karabakh says 28 more of its troops killed in fighting with Azerbaijani forces

    The territory of Nagorno-Karabakh said 28 more of its troops had been killed in fighting with Azerbaijani forces, bringing its total number of casualties to 59.

    Armenian and Azerbaijani forces exchanged fierce fire for a second day on Monday over the territory of Nagorno-Karabakh, with the sides accusing each other of using heavy artillery.

    11:25 GMT – Turkey says Armenia must send back foreign ‘mercenaries’

    Turkey says Armenia must stop its occupation of Azerbaijan’s land and send back the “mercenaries and terrorists” it brought from abroad for stability in the Nagorno-Karabakh region, where Armenian and Azerbaijani forces have clashed.

    “Armenia must immediately halt its attacks, send back the mercenaries and terrorists it brought from abroad and withdraw from the Azerbaijan lands,” said Turkish Defence Minister Hulusi Akar, adding a ceasefire and peace are needed.

    10:45 GMT – Kremlin calls on Azerbaijan, Armenia to stop Karabakh fighting

    The Kremlin has urged Azerbaijan and Armenia to stop all military activity that could further inflame tensions over the territory of Nagorno-Karabakh and said the fighting was a cause for serious concern in Moscow.

    Kremlin spokesman Dmitry Peskov said Moscow was following the situation very closely and the conflict had to be resolved through diplomacy.

    10:10 GMT – Iran calls for talks between Armenia and Azerbaijan

    Iranian foreign ministry spokesman Saeed Khatibzadeh says Iran’s policy of facilitating talks between Armenia and Azerbaijan and avoiding military conflict remains unchanged.

    “We believe an immediate cease fire, abandoning hostilities and beginning bilateral talks is the only certain solution to this situation,” he said during his weekly news conference, adding, “the region cannot take more violence”.

    Last night, Iranian Foreign Minister Mohammad Javad Zarif had two separate phone calls with his counterparts in Armenia and Azerbaijan and invited them to hold talks within the framework of international rules.

    Three rockets fired as part of the conflict have landed on Iranian soil so far, according to Ali Amiri Rad, governor of a small county close to the Azerbaijan border called Khoda Afarin. He said it was unclear who fired the rockets and there were no casualties or damages since the area they landed was not residential.

    09:45 GMT – Armenia’s parliament accuses Azerbaijan of ‘full-scale military attack’ on Karabakh

    Armenia’s parliament has condemned what it said was a “full-scale military attack” by Azerbaijan on the territory of Nagorno-Karabakh and said Turkey’s involvement in the crisis could risk destabilising the region.

    “The international community should take active steps to prevent not only aggression by Azerbaijan, but also Turkey’s ambitions to be involved in the … conflict which will lead to the region’s destabilisation,” Parliament speaker Ararat Mirzoyan said.

    09:15 GMT – Azerbaijan declares partial military mobilisation

    Azerbaijan has declared a partial military mobilisation following clashes with Armenian forces over the Nagorno-Karabakh region.

    Azerbaijani President Ilham Aliyev signed a decree on mobilisation on the second day of clashes which the two sides, which fought a war over Nagorno-Karabakh in the 1990s, blame on each other and in which both have reported deaths.

Related Articles

Back to top button