Representatives from Libya’s two warring parties began United Nations-led talks in Geneva on Monday, the world governing body said.
Five senior officers appointed by the UN-recognised Government of National Accord (GNA) and five appointed by eastern-based renegade military commander Khalifa Haftar were participating in the talks, the UN said in a statement.
Known as the “Libya Joint Military Commission,” the 10-member body, created at the conclusion of a 12-nation summit held in the German capital Berlin last month, is tasked with supervising a tentative truce that has all but collapsed.
The meeting was being moderated by Ghassan Salame, Special Representative of the United Nations Secretary-General and Head of the United Nations Support Mission in Libya.
Countries that took part in the Berlin process reneged on their pledge to stop interfering in the armed conflict, and backed the belligerents with advanced weaponry in violation of a 2011 arms embargo, almost as soon the conference’s 55-point communique was issued.
At a UN Security Council briefing last week, Salame expressed his “anger and disappointment” over what he described as “unscrupulous actors inside and outside Libya who cynically nod and wink towards efforts to promote peace” while continuing to “double down on a military solution”.