- Israeli forces continue to target the Gaza Strip with air attacks for a second day.
- Two Palestinian men have been killed in Khan Younis from Israeli raids, according to local media and health ministry.
Israeli attacks target residential areas
Several residential buildings throughout the Gaza Strip have been targeted by Israeli forces since Friday, sending huge clouds of smoke and debris into the air.
A five-storey building belonging to the Khalifa family near al-Amal Hotel west of Gaza City was flattened. No casualties have yet to be reported.
In the south, the al-Buraim family home in Bani Suhaila, an agricultural town east of Khan Yunis, was also targeted by Israeli warplanes. Local sources said the house was empty.
Ashraf al-Qedra, the Palestinian health ministry spokesman, said the Israeli attacks are “focused on residential areas”.
“This leads to more injuries amongst civilians,” he told a news conference. “Some of them are extremely critical injuries. As a result of the continued siege of Gaza by Israeli forces – which now runs for 15 years – we have 40 percent shortage in basic medical supplies.”
According to the ministry of information, 650 housing units have been damaged so far by Israeli raids.
Mother of groom killed in Israeli air raid
An Israeli air raid struck a civilian vehicle in the northern town of Beit Hanoun in the Gaza Strip, wounding several people and killing an elderly woman who had just celebrated the wedding of her son.
Naameh Abu Qaida was in the car with her family after picking up the bride from the wedding party. The family members were on their way to the groom’s house.
Abu Qaida’s killing brings the death toll to 13 Palestinians killed, the health ministry said.
Iran Guards say Israel facing ‘heavy price’ for attacks in Gaza
The commander of Iran’s elite Islamic Revolutionary Guard Corps (IRGC) said Israel would pay a high price for its latest attacks on the Palestinians in Gaza, Iranian state TV reported.
“The Israelis will pay yet another heavy price for their recent crime,” it quoted Major General Hossein Salami as saying in reference to Israeli air raids on Gaza.
Salami’s statement came after a meeting with Islamic Jihad leader Ziad al-Nakhala, who is currently in Iran.
Al-Nakhalah was quoted as saying by the IRGC’s news outlet that the Islamic Jihad and other groups have made “significant” military gains and are ready to respond against any Israeli attacks.
Islamic Jihad armed wing says it fired 60 rockets at Israel
Al-Quds Brigades, the military wing of the Islamic Jihad movement, announced it had targeted Israeli towns and military sites with a number of rockets and mortar shells.
“Al-Quds Brigades pounded Tel Aviv, Ben Gurion Airport, Ashdod, Beersheba, Ashkelon, Netivot and Sderot with 60 missiles in response to the Israeli bombardment of Gaza,” the group said on its Telegram channel.
The group called their operation “Fields of Unity”.
Israeli air attack flattens house
An Israeli air attack has targeted and destroyed a family home west of Gaza City.
Nadia Shamallakh, 65, told Al Jazeera that her family of 10 was having breakfast when their neighbours came running to tell them to evacuate.
“No sooner had we left, the house and our crops all got destroyed. Me and three of my children had to go to the hospital,” she said.
“We are farmers. There are no fighters in the area.”
Egypt says it is mediating to restore calm
Egypt says it is mediating to restore calm to the Gaza Strip amid Israeli air attacks on the Palestinian territory.
A statement by the Egyptian foreign ministry said Cairo was “conducting intensive communications to contain the situation in Gaza” and to “preserve lives and property”.
The statement did not provide any further details, but an Egyptian official told the local channel Extra News that Cairo was communicating with Israel and Palestinian factions to end the current escalation in Gaza.
“Egypt is conducting intensive communications with the Palestinian and the Israeli sides to end the current escalation in Gaza and to contain the situation,” said the official, who preferred to remain unnamed.
“Our goal is the continuation of the ceasefire, the stability of the region, and the safeguarding of the potentialities for peace,” he added.
Gaza’s sole power plant to cease operations over fuel shortage
Gaza’s only power plant said it will cease operations at noon (09:00 GMT) due to a lack of fuel sources.
In a statement, Gaza’s electricity distribution company stressed that the shutdown will affect all vital facilities and households in the strip, exacerbating the humanitarian situation.
“The power plant in Gaza has stopped (working) due to the fuel shortage,” said Mohammed Thabet, spokesman for the electricity company.
The company called on all relevant parties to intervene urgently and to allow the entry of fuel shipments necessary to operate the power plant.
Diesel for the power plant is usually trucked in from Egypt or Israel, who have both maintained a blockade of the enclave since 2007.
Gaza’s 2.3 million residents experience regular power shortages and last week received only an average of 10 hours of electricity per day, according to data from the UN’s humanitarian agency OCHA.