Iran has said it would no longer abide by any of the limits of its unravelling 2015 nuclear deal with world powers after a United States air raid killed its top general in Baghdad on Friday.
Sunday’s announcement means Iran is abandoning the accord’s key provisions that block it from having enough material to build an atomic weapon.
Iran insisted in a state television broadcast it remained open to negotiations with European partners, who so far have been unable to offer Tehran a way to sell its crude oil abroad despite US sanctions.
It also did not back off of earlier promises that it would not seek a nuclear weapon.
However, the announcement represents the clearest nuclear proliferation threat yet made by Iran since President Donald Trump unilaterally withdrew from the accord in May 2018.
It also further raises regional tensions, as Iran’s longtime foe Israel has promised never to allow Iran to be able to produce an atomic bomb.
The announcement came on Sunday night after another Iranian official said it would consider taking even-harsher steps over the US killing of General Qassem Soleimani on Friday.
Hundreds of thousands of people flooded the streets of Iran on Sunday to walk alongside a casket carrying the remains of Soleimani, the former leader of its expeditionary Quds Force.
Iran’s state TV cited a statement by President Hassan Rouhani’s administration saying the country will not observe limitations on its enrichment, the amount of stockpiled enriched uranium as well as research and development in its nuclear activities.