Dozens killed in Burkina Faso attacks

At least 29 people were killed in separate assaults in Burkina Faso’s troubled north after a food convoy and a transport truck were attacked.

One vehicle transporting people and goods “rode over an improvised explosive device (IED) in the Barsalogho area” leaving at least 15 passengers dead, government spokesman Remis Fulgance Dandjinou said in a statement. Most of the dead on Sunday were traders.

Meanwhile, about 50km away, 14 people were killed after a convoy of mostly three-wheeled vehicles taking food to people displaced by fighting was attacked.

“This drama comes as important security efforts are under way in this region,” a military official said. “Reinforcements have been deployed.”

Al Jazeera’s Catherine Soi, reporting from the city of Kaya, said she spoke to some people in the area of the second attack last week.

“We could sense the tension and fear. In fact, we found some people who were preparing to leave that area because they heard of attacks on many nearby villages,” she said.

“The situation becomes more volatile the further north you go. The government has deployed troops to this area. They have been carrying out operations, but they are overwhelmed because we are talking about a large territory.”

Related Articles