Pompeo: US sanctions will prevent Iran from funding Hezbollah, Houthis

US Secretary of State Mike Pompeo has said that the reimposition of sanctions against Iran will prevent Tehran from funding Hezbollah and the Houthi militias.

Pompeo said they are designed to “alter the Iranian regime’s behavior,” especially its support of terrorist groups like Hezbollah.

President Donald Trump removed the US from the 2015 Iran nuclear deal earlier this year, triggering the sanctions being imposed Monday.

Trump told reporters as he left the White House on Sunday for political rallies in the South that the sanctions are the strongest ever imposed by the United States.

‘We’ll see what happens with Iran. But they’re not doing very well,” he said. The president did not respond to a question about the waiver.

Pompeo said earlier on CBS’ “Face the Nation” that he was “confident” Iran would not restart its nuclear program with the U.S. withdrawing from the deal.

Pompeo and Treasury Secretary Steven Mnuchin were expected to provide more details on the sanctions at a briefing Monday.

Related Articles

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.