Hundreds of thousands evacuated in China amid heavy rains, floods

Hundreds of thousands of people have been evacuated from their homes in southern China, according to state media, amid floods and landslides triggered by the heaviest rainfall the region has seen in decades.

With rainstorms continuing to lash southern and eastern regions including Guangdong, Guangxi and Jiangxi on Tuesday, state media said some 85 rivers nationwide have “experienced floods above the warning level”.

In the low-lying Pearl River basin, which encompasses Guangdong and Guangxi, the downpours have dangerously swelled some 54 waterways, threatening manufacturing, shipping and logistics operations at a time when supply chains are already stressed because of China’s strict COVID-19 controls.

State media photos showed people huddled on camp beds in schools converted into temporary shelters in Guangdong’s Shaoguan city, and hundreds of tents erected on a sports ground.

Authorities in Guangdong said on Monday that more than 200,000 people have been evacuated over the course of the disaster, and that the damage so far is estimated at 1.7 billion yuan ($254m).

The evacuees were among almost 480,000 people affected by the rains and floods, according to the officials.

Shaoguan also issued a red flood alert – the most serious – on Tuesday morning, after multiple rural counties and the major city of Foshan upgraded their flood warnings in recent days.

In neighbouring Guangxi region, muddy water was seen flooding urban areas and emergency rescuers were seen evacuating villagers on rubber dinghies, according to state media images.

About 145,000 people have been evacuated from areas in Guangxi, while 2,700 houses have collapsed.

State broadcaster CCTV said more than 1,000 villagers were trapped in a flooded village in Guilin of Guangxi.

Related Articles

Back to top button