- Ukrainian forces have recaptured about 20 percent of territory lost in the city of Severodonetsk, according to the head of the eastern region of Luhansk.
- Russian forces are blowing up bridges across the Seversky Donets river to prevent Ukraine bringing in military reinforcements in Severodonetsk.
- Kremlin spokesman Dmitry Peskov says Russia will continue its “military operation” in Ukraine until all its goals have been achieved.
- Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelenskyy tells country: “Victory will be ours.”
- UN aid chief Martin Griffiths “had frank and constructive discussions” with Russian officials on facilitating exports of Ukrainian grain from Black Sea ports, a UN spokesperson says.
Ukraine wants to bolster military position before resuming talks with Russia: Official
Ukraine wants to strengthen its positions on the ground with the help of new weapons deliveries from the West before it resumes peace talks with Russia, Ukrainian negotiator David Arakhamia has said.
“Our armed forces are ready to use (the new weapons)…and then I think we can initiate a new round of talks from a strengthened position,” he told Ukraine national television.
Ukraine said it had recaptured a chunk of the industrial city of Severodonetsk in the Luhansk region, the focus of a Russian offensive to take the eastern Donbas region.
Russia says it shot down Ukrainian military plane with weapons
Russia’s defence ministry says its forces shot down a Ukrainian military transport plane carrying weapons and munitions near the Black Sea port of Odesa.
The ministry said Russian missiles also struck an artillery training centre in Ukraine’s Sumy region where foreign instructors worked. Another strike destroyed a “foreign mercenaries’” outpost in the Odesa region.
Zelenskyy addresses United24 platform presentation in Washington
Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelenskyy has addressed the United24 platform presentation in Washington, saying that “ruins are all that is left behind by the Russians” and calling for international donations to help rebuild destroyed cities.
“People need to have somewhere to return. Right now. Today. That is the reason I initiated the special United24 platform. It is not just fundraising. It is also one of the ways to prove to Russia that evil will not win,” Zelenskyy said.
Kyiv had announced the launch of the United24 global initiative in May. On its website, the platform is presented as “the main venue for collecting charitable donations” for Ukraine.
Russia blowing up bridges in Severodonetsk to thwart Ukrainian reinforcements: Governor
Russian forces are blowing up bridges across the Seversky Donets river to prevent Ukraine bringing in military reinforcements and delivering aid to civilians in the town of Severodonetsk, the governor of the Luhansk region has said.
In a TV broadcast, Serhiy Gaidai said the Ukrainian military continued to hold its positions inside Severodonetsk and was pushing back Russian forces in several locations.