Dwayne Johnson Calls for Banning Firearms on Movie Set

Dwayne Johnson has pledged to stop using real guns on the sets of his movies.

The Rock and his collaborators made their decision following the tragic death of cinematographer Halyna Hutchins on the Alec Baldwin film Rust and will no longer use real firearms on projects from his Seven Bucks Productions company.

‘Any movie we have moving forward with Seven Bucks Productions… anything we do or produce – we won’t use real guns at all,’ he told Variety at the premiere of his new action comedy film Red Notice in Los Angeles on Wednesday.

The 49-year-old star also told the media outlet about his plans for any future projects that involve guns or other projectiles.

‘We’re going to switch over the rubber guns, and we’re going to take care of it in the post,’ he said.

The performer added: ‘We’re not going to worry about the dollars, we won’t worry about what it costs.’

Dwayne explained that he was left feeling ‘heartbroken’ following the tragedy last month when Baldwin accidentally shot Hutchins on the set of the Western that was filming in New Mexico.

The Jumanji actor said: ‘We lost a life. My heart goes out to her family and everybody on set. I’ve known Alec, too, for a very long time.’

The former WWE star recalled how he was quickly on the phone with his team following the incident to discuss what needed to be done to make his productions safer going forward.

Dwayne explained: ‘I love the movie business. There are safety protocols and measures that we have always taken in the movie business and we take that very seriously, and these sets are safe sets, and we’re proud of that.

However, the actor did express that ‘accidents do happen’ while working on film sets.

He then told the media outlet about the wider effects that the tragic event has had on Hollywood in the recent past.

‘When something like this happens of this magnitude… I think the most prudent thing and the smartest thing to do is just pause for a second and really re-examine how you’re going to move forward,’ he said.

The Hobbs & Shaw star added: ‘Any movie we do that Seven Bucks does with any studio, the rule is we’re not going to use real guns. That’s it.’

Johnson previously co-founded his production company with his business partner and ex-wife, Dany Garcia, in 2012.

The group has produced several of the actor’s hit movies such as Rampage and Jungle Cruise.

The news comes not long after TMZ revealed that Hutchins’ husband, Matthew, had hired the services of a law firm specializing in wrongful death litigation and personal injury.

A representative for the firm did not offer any official comment to the media outlet regarding the legal plans late cinematographer’s husband.

The Santa Fe Sheriff’s Office is still investigating the incident, in which director Joel Souza was also injured.

They also pointed out that, although no charges have been filed against any parties regarding the shooting, they were leaving their options open for the time being.

Related Articles

Back to top button