The death toll in China from the deadly coronavirus outbreak that originated in the central city of Wuhan, rose to at least 361 on Monday, as the Philippines became the first country outside China to confirm a death from the infection.
The National Health Commission said there were 57 new fatalities on Sunday, all but one of them in Hubei, which has been effectively sealed off from the rest of the country for more than a week.
The total number of people infected with the virus rose to 17,238 across the country, after 2,829 new cases were reported.
Other countries have rushed to evacuate their citizens from Hubei province and its capital city, Wuhan, while many have also imposed extraordinary travel restrictions on travellers to and from China.
About 150 cases have been reported in two dozen other countries.
Here are the latest updates:
Monday, February 3
Hugo Boss temporarily closing some stores in China
German fashion house Hugo Boss is temporarily closing some of its stores in China due to the coronavirus outbreak, a spokeswoman said on Monday, adding that stores that were still open had reduced their trading hours.
She did not give details about the length of the closures. She said it was too early to comment on the economic impact.
Duterte calls on citizens to stop stirring anti-Chinese xenophobia
Philippine President Rodrigo Duterte on Monday urged his citizens to stop stirring up anti-Chinese xenophobia related to the outbreak of a coronavirus.
“China has been kind to us, we can only also show the same favour to them. Stop this xenophobia thing,” Duterte said at a news conference after meeting with agencies on the coronavirus, which claimed its first fatality in the Philippines on Saturday.
In the Philippine capital, Adamson University asked all of its Chinese students to observe a 14-day self-quarantine as a precaution.
Criticism of that decision led the university to extend the quarantine to all students and staff who had travelled to areas where the virus was prevalent.
Lufthansa extends China flight ban
Germany’s flagship carrier Lufthansa on Monday said it was suspending all flights to and from mainland China for longer than initially announced.
The Lufthansa group last week said it was halting its China flights until February 9, including those run by subsidiaries Swiss and Austrian Airlines.
In an updated statement, the group said it was now halting flights to and from Beijing and Shanghai until February 29.