China coronavirus deaths, infections jump: All the latest updates

The death toll from a new coronavirus outbreak has jumped to more than 300, the Chinese government has said, as other nations imposed extraordinary travel restrictions on China, and airlines suspended flights.

The Philippines meanwhile reported on Sunday the first death outside China – a 44-year-old man from the central Chinese city of Wuhan, the epicentre of the outbreak.

At least 304 people in China were confirmed dead in the 24 hours to the end of February 1, according to the National Health Commission. Thousands more were confirmed infected, bringing that total to 14,380 people.

Here are the latest updates:

Sunday, February 2
Bangladesh suspends on-arrival visas for Chinese visitors
Bangladesh has temporarily suspended visa-on-arrival services for travellers from China in an attempt to halt the coronavirus.

Chinese nationals can usually acquire visas on reaching Bangladesh, but now will have to obtain visas before travelling, Foreign Minister Abul Kalam Abdul Momen told reporters in Dhaka.

“We have suspended the privilege for a month,” he said.

Potential Chinese visitors will have to submit health certificates when applying for Bangladeshi visas, Momen added.

More UK citizens flown back from China
A further 11 British nationals are being flown back to Europe from China on a French flight, foreign minister Dominic Raab said.

“It’s correct that there is a further French flight that is expected back in Europe today and that will carry some UK nationals,” he told Sky News.

Afghanistan sets up isolation wards
Afghan health authorities are establishing isolation wards across the country ahead of a potential influx of coronavirus cases, an official said.

In the capital, Kabul, authorities have created a 100-bed isolation ward and another 200 or so beds will be made available across the country, public health minister Ferozuddin Feroz said.

No cases have been recorded in Afghanistan so far, but the war-torn country’s health services have set up screening units at airports and borders.

“We have put serious measures in place,” Feroz told reporters.

Indonesia to stop flights to and from China
Indonesia will temporarily stop flights to and from mainland China starting Wednesday and bar visitors who had been in China in the past 14 days from entering or transiting in the southeast Asian country, Foreign Minister Retno Marsudi said.

The government will temporarily stop visa-free entry for Chinese nationals and visas-on-arrival for those who live in mainland China, she said, asking Indonesians not to travel to China amid the coronavirus epidemic.

A total of 243 Indonesian citizens living in Hubei province were also repatriated back to the country, and transferred to the Natuna Islands military base to be quarantined, Indonesia’s foreign ministry said.

 

Related Articles

Back to top button