Bahrain reports first coronavirus death in Gulf

The United States and countries across Europe are closing schools, entertainment venues and all but essential services, as they step up efforts to combat the coronavirus pandemic.

Governments are limiting travel – both inward and outward – to curb the movement of people. South Korea and China, both wary of imported infections, have tightened requirements for international arrivals.

More cases are now being reported outside China, where the virus first originated late last year, than inside.

Schools in New York City are shut and classes moved online, while entertainment venues have been ordered to close from Tuesday, as officials increasingly turn to quarantine measures to tackle a virus that has now killed 5,800 people around the world.

Italy reported 368 new deaths from the coronavirus while the number of confirmed cases rose to 24,747, the country’s civil protection authority said.

Iran announced that more than 100 people had died in the past 24 hours, with the confirmed cases nearing 14,000. Tehran said its fight against the outbreak was being severely hampered by US sanctions.

Monday, March 16
08:50 GMT – Half a billion students miss school: UN
More than half a billion children and youth are unable to go to school because of the coronavirus, the UN education agency said, as the outbreak continues to spread to new countries.

Monday, March 16
08:50 GMT – Half a billion students miss school: UN
More than half a billion children and youth are unable to go to school because of the coronavirus, the UN education agency said, as the outbreak continues to spread to new countries.

08:32 GMT – Northern Irish mother launches legal challenge to shut schools
A Northern Irish mother whose daughter suffers from underlying health problems and is at greater risk from coronavirus will start an emergency legal challenge on Monday against Britain’s decision to keep schools open, her lawyers said.

The mother, whose child attends a primary school in the border county of Armagh, put the region’s education authorities and its ministers for health and eduction on notice late on Sunday of her intention to apply for an emergency judicial review.

“It is clear that the respective public bodies have each failed in their respective obligations to our client, and indeed all children, by continuing to require their attendance at school in circumstances in which they would be at an increased risk of contracting the condition,” lawyer Darragh Mackin said in a statement.

08:25 GMT – Spain’s measures to be extended beyond 15 days
It is “obvious” that measures imposed to restrict the spread of coronavirus in Spain will have to be extended beyond the planned 15 day period, Minister of Transport Jose Luis Abalos said in an interview with national radio RNE.

Abalos said there was no fixed calendar but that a 15-day state of emergency would not be sufficient to win the battle against the virus.

08:11 GMT – Bahrain reports first Gulf death from coronavirus
Bahrain reported its first coronavirus death, the health ministry said on Twitter, the first death from COVID-19 in the Gulf states.

The deceased was a 65-year-old Bahraini citizen who had underlying health conditions.

 

Related Articles

Back to top button