Azerbaijan, Armenia trade blame for new truce violation

Armenia and Azerbaijan have accused each other of violating a new “humanitarian ceasefire” in the conflict over the mountainous enclave of Nagorno-Karabakh shortly after it had been due to take effect on Monday.

On Sunday, a joint statement from the US Department of State and the two governments said the truce would take effect at 8am (04:00 GMT) on Monday, adding that US Deputy Secretary of State Stephen Biegun had met the foreign ministers of the two countries on Saturday.

On Monday, Azerbaijan’s foreign ministry said Armenian forces shelled villages in the Terter and Lachin regions in “gross violation” of the truce.

Hikmet Hajiyev,  aide to Azerbaijan’s president, said Armenian forces began their artillery attacks minutes after the truce began.

Related Articles

Back to top button