Art Basel cancels Hong Kong fair due to Coronavirus outbreak

After weeks of speculation, Art Basel, one of the most prestigious international art fairs, has cancelled its Asia edition in Hong Kong over public health concerns around the fast-moving coronavirus outbreak, dealing a blow to the festival that has weathered a tumultuous year in the semi-autonomous region.

With 241 exhibitors lined up, the show had been slated for March 19 and 21 at the Hong Kong Convention and Exhibition Center.

Art Central, another art fair in Hong Kong which coincides with Art Basel, has also been cancelled.

“The decision to cancel Art Basel Hong Kong was an extremely difficult one for us. We explored every other possible option before doing so, gathering advice and perspectives from many gallerists, collectors, partners and external experts,” said Marc Spiegler, global director of Art Basel.

“Unfortunately, the sudden outbreak and rapid spread of the novel coronavirus radically changed the situation.”

Art Central, another art fair in Hong Kong which coincides with Art Basel, has also been cancelled.

“The decision to cancel Art Basel Hong Kong was an extremely difficult one for us. We explored every other possible option before doing so, gathering advice and perspectives from many gallerists, collectors, partners and external experts,” said Marc Spiegler, global director of Art Basel.

“Unfortunately, the sudden outbreak and rapid spread of the novel coronavirus radically changed the situation.”

Related Articles

Back to top button