‘A new Balfour’: Palestinians angered by Trump’s Middle East plan
Jerusalem – United States President Donald Trump’s Middle East plan, also known as the “Deal of the Century”, has been denounced by the Palestinians as a “new Balfour Declaration”.
Trump revealed his plan on Tuesday with Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu standing by his side at the White House.
Introducing the proposal as a “win-win solution” for both Israelis and Palestinians, he said the deal would ensure the establishment of a two-state solution for the Israeli-Palestinian conflict.
Trump led his statement by introducing the Israeli side of the plan, announcing that Jerusalem would remain the “undivided capital” of Israel, adding that this has “already been done”.
He also said he hoped to implement the plan “immediately”.
Netanyahu, speaking after Trump, thanked the US president for a “historic day” and said the plan would see Israeli law implemented in the occupied West Bank’s Jordan Valley as a means to ensuring the security of Israel.
Earlier on Tuesday, the Israeli military sent troops there as reinforcement in anticipation of possible clashes following the announcement.